a Veteran
    Real Name
    Carly
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 422 Posts

Default VIRGINIA - Fort Lee

VIRGINIA - Fort Lee

www.lee.army.mil
    Last edited by Carly; 02-11-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Resistance is Futile Alumni Staff Deployment Survivor

Senior Member Array LovemyPhoxx's Avatar Site Supporter
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    KT
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 1,096 Posts

Small post- One PX and there is also the mini PX (shoppette) then the commisary. That's pretty much it shopping wise. Not much to do on post, which would include eating out. If you want to eat out something other than burger king or anthony's pizza- You can go off post to colonial heights. There is a shopping area with everything you need along with most fast food and sit down resturaunts. It's pretty small and basic and I wouldn't suggest going to petersburg at all. The crime is HIGH and the city itself is just gross. You don't ever have to go there if you don't want to.
    If you are able to live on post I suggest it. One- being a the safest place and two they have mostly entirely new homes. Right now they are expanding and have a whole neighborhood of beautiful homes being built now. Mini Parks every other corner and a few bigger parks spread out. There is a golf course located next to the housing area as well. If you choose to live off post I suggest colonial Heights and "possibly" hopewell. Definetly don't live in petersburg.
    While the base is pretty basic and usually full of AIT students- there is plenty to do off post. Williamsburg is just a short drive away along with Virginia beach about an hour and half drive. WORTH IT! Virginia has alot of history so there are several interesting spots to go and see.
    The state itself is really pretty! Tons of trees! Coming from nebraska, you don't see any where near this many trees. You are basically inbetween the mountains and the beach everything is within driving distance. Including DC!

Live long and prosper.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

Array
    My guy is
    stateside
    Real Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

I have to disagree with KT, not all of Petersburg is gross or high in Crime. There are some areas that are better then the "downtown" area. I think that Petersburg just has a bad rap. I lived there in the Walnut hill area for just a little over 2 years. And I had no PROBLEMS.The city is trying to clean up the downtown area and bring back some life to the place. But because of the bad rap that Petersburg gets I am having one heck of a time sell my house. My thoughts on Ft. Lee, don't PCS here if you. Most likely your soldier will be heading to Korea shortly after getting. Ft.Lee is the gateway to a year in Korea. For shopping head out of town to places like Short Pump, Williamsburg, Stony Point Fashion Point anywhere but close to Ft. Lee.

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    KT
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lovinmysgt View Post
    I have to disagree with KT, not all of Petersburg is gross or high in Crime. There are some areas that are better then the "downtown" area. I think that Petersburg just has a bad rap. I lived there in the Walnut hill area for just a little over 2 years. And I had no PROBLEMS.The city is trying to clean up the downtown area and bring back some life to the place. But because of the bad rap that Petersburg gets I am having one heck of a time sell my house. My thoughts on Ft. Lee, don't PCS here if you. Most likely your soldier will be heading to Korea shortly after getting. Ft.Lee is the gateway to a year in Korea. For shopping head out of town to places like Short Pump, Williamsburg, Stony Point Fashion Point anywhere but close to Ft. Lee.
    Eah I would disagree with the "gateway" to Korea. Heck for one thing we are TRADOC- which is less likely to Deploy. They do indeed but not as often as say Bragg,Hood etc. My husband is in an Undeployable unit and thats for the next 2 1/2 years. His isn't the only undeployable unit either. We know several people and most actually come from Korea here rather than the opposite. This is more of a 'long term" post than anything.
    I know she's lived in Petersburg for a little while, but I would never with my children as many people here feel the same way. There good reason it has a bad rap. It's one of the highest crime rates especially High in Sexual Assault cases and rape. ( call the police department, they will tell you) Sure everytown has some "decent" areas but def. not enough to live in. They are trying to better the community and their hospital you will have to go to as Fort Lee doesn't have one ( especially if you'll be having a child like myself, it's pretty much you're only option unless you want to drive a good distance- and no one wants to as high as gas is). Honestly if you can live on Post ( which almost all new housing) or say Hopewell, colonial heights over Petersburg DO!! It'll be a little more costly but it's WELL worth it!!

Senior Member Deployment Survivor

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

whatever you decide on living arrangements stay away from lieutenants run apartments in petersburg it was nice when we moved in and horrible when we moved out. way to much hassle!

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    KT
    Thanks

Just to update a little considering the post has changed significantly in the past year+

The one gas station is currently undergoing remodel and is not usable- in fact it's gone, you only can see the new building now. It will be done in 2010, and will now have a shoppette, car service as before but a little better, car wash, and a popeyes.

There is now a subway on post.

The current shoppette is also undergoing remodel, was suppose to have been done this september... not sure when the new date is but they are getting pretty close.

The commissary remodel is due to be done Nov 2009.

The post now has a new library.

The last remaining "old" neighborhood Monroe manor is scheduled to start it's demolition October 2009. Residents residing in Monroe are scheduled to begin moving September 2009 ( they are actually ahead of schedule). Fort lee housing was not originally separated by rank, but that has changed and now ranks have their designated neighborhoods.

There is a splash park being built, unsure of it's estimated completion.

The new hotel that was proposed is still undergoing approval.

Mifflin Hall will be gone by next year. ( My husband is sad lol he's been using that building since he was in AIT)

Fort Lee now officially is the Home of ordnance. We now have the second largest dining facility. With all the new additions, we will be the third largest installation with students. So kind of a bummer for those of us as residents... It was busy before, just imagine how bad it's going to be when it's all said and done! lol Just for the new Ordnance, they project 4,500 military students... At least it's all in "fort lee north" for the most part.

ALMC will be supporting about 30k students yearly.

Oh and there is a new church.

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

I have been at Fort Lee since July 2009, and its okay. This is my first duty station so I can be a bit impartial! Some people say they hate it but, in fact I like it! Its not as big as some of the other posts like Hood, Bragg, etc. but its big enough for me. Not big enough for all of the traffic that we are about to get with all of ordnance coming but we will see. Everyone is supposed to be here by the summer of 2010, they are buliding alot of housing ( which is really nice and big) and alot of more stuff. Every road you turn on there is construction. There is a whole new side of the post just for the ordnance called "Fort Lee North". Not only is ordnance here now but so is all of transportation,all of quartermaster, and all of food services, now you see why it will be the third largest training base! Virginia is beautiful and there is so much to do, Richmond is like 30 minutes away, Williamsburg is 45 minutes away, and Va Beach is like 2 hours away, not mention, Norfolk, Little Creek, and Oceania Naval bases which are nice and have HUGE NEX's. Petersburg is scary and I would not go there at night unless I'm going to like Walmart because it is pretty safe, I go to Walmart by myself all the time day or night and nothing seems funny. Coloinal Heights Walmart is somewhere I would not go to by myself at night. This whole lil "Tri-City" area is only want you make of it. My husband deployed 4 months after we got here so I am on my own with my two lil girls and we are just fine. Stay away from the commissary on pay weeks because the prices go up and the 1st because everyone gets food stamps on the 1st so it is crazy and there is no food left. If you stay on post your kids will go to a school off post which will most likely be in the country but I dont mind because they are really good schools. Fort Lee is okay, I'm ready to see something new but only because I know that we will end back up here one day when my husband comes back to become an instructor at the ordnance school. So on to bigger and better things for me! Good luck and have fun!

49th Quartermaster Group Holiday Ball

My guy is
    stateside
    Real Name
    Avia
    Thanks

We will be relocating to Fort Lee while my husband attends transportation training. Can anyone recommend a nice apartment complex. Also, does anyone know if there is a waitlist for onpost housing?

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by avent View Post
    We will be relocating to Fort Lee while my husband attends transportation training. Can anyone recommend a nice apartment complex. Also, does anyone know if there is a waitlist for onpost housing?
    If you can't get into onpost housing and are looking around for apartments, be sure to ask anyone you talk to if their complex is "income restricted." Lots of places in Colonial Heights are nice but get a tax credit to keep their rents low and rent to people with incomes under a certain level. I just moved here and am living in a very nice complex that's in a not-so-nice area (PM me for details), since proximity to base was a big priority. I've met a few people who work on base who live as far north as Chester. They drive alot.

My guy is
    stateside
    Real Name
    Avia
    Thanks

We actually ended up moving to River Forest in Chester. I love the complex, my husband is starting to hate the drive though. The income thing was the biggest pain in the butt! I am loving it here so far and actually love the PX here!

Array
    My guy is
    overseas
    Thanks

Question Ft. Lee Bound

We will be relocating to the area this fall. I have children in elementary, high school and I also have a child who will need a daycare. We have a big family. I would like to know the best area to live. We want a child friendly safe community for our children and a good school district. My husband doesn't mind driving a little farther for a good place for the kids. Any information will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

My guy is
    stateside
    Real Name
    Avia
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shai View Post
    We will be relocating to the area this fall. I have children in elementary, high school and I also have a child who will need a daycare. We have a big family. I would like to know the best area to live. We want a child friendly safe community for our children and a good school district. My husband doesn't mind driving a little farther for a good place for the kids. Any information will be helpful. Thanks in advance.
    I would look into the Chester, Va. area. It is about a fifteen minute drive from post. My son goes to Ecoff elementary and I love the school so far. They keep me informed with his day to day progress and have alot of activities for the children and their families to be involved in. I have a three year old I stay at home with, so I dont much about the daycares, except the ones on post are a joke when it comes to availabilty! I've heard bad things about Petersburg, Va and most Colonial Heights properties have income restrictions that most military dont qualify for. If you can get on-post housing, I would say take it!

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Liz
    Thanks

I'm going to agree wholeheartedly with avent. Petersburg & Colonial Heights aren't good places to have kids- Chester is definitely worth the drive.

Array
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Culinda
    Thanks

Hello I am on Ft. Lee and my friend had to live offpost for 6 months and they are just getting housing. I found out we were coming to Lee 6 months before we got here so I called the housing area and they faxed me all the paperwork and I sent it back and the month before we were due to get here I was putting on the housing list. We got here on June 5 of last year and signed our housing lease on the 8th.

Array
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Culinda
    Thanks

Default Ft. Lee

I have been at Ft. Lee for almost a yr now and it is quite different from what I am use too. I must say that their isnt much too do on the base but their is alot of things too do outside the post. This is a beautiful state and I am learning to love certain things about it. I luv the schools my kids attend in Prince George, Va. and the colleges around here are everywhere so their isnt a reason to find some kind of education around here. Their are also alot more job placements around here then some of the post Ive been too. Ft. Lee is what you make of it.

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

On post is where you want to stay.....good schools, safe, nice housing!

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Does anyone have a favorite place to get manicures (that last) near or on Lee?

retired member

Array
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Jamie
    Thanks

Im so dissapointed right now. I was just surfing the web trying to get info on the pre k programs there and it says online they will only accept your child based on need and the deadline is today! Its a holiday so why would today be the deadline? My daughter has been in Pre-K all year (they start at age 3 in copperas cove tx), and I will hate for her to miss a year after being used to going to school...urgh

My guy is
    stateside
    Real Name
    Avia
    Thanks

's lack of Pre-K. I have also had bad experiences with the hourly care here, they never have space available! I did how ever start using a FCC provider and she is great!

My guy is
    stateside
    Real Name
    Avia
    Thanks

Ladies, I just wanted to share! I found a nice antique and furniture store in Midlothian called Toucan. I bought a very nice curio cabinet for cheap. They have new things also and are next to the dollar store in the Kmart shopping center.

My guy is
    stateside
    Real Name
    Avia
    Thanks

Operation Homefront is taking reservations for back to school supply drive for soliders in paygrades E1-E6. Log onto www.operationhomefront.net/hamptonroads or call (804) 734-6388 for more info!

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Hey ladies, two festivals coming up in Richmond!

9th Annual Shockoe Tomato Festival July 24, 2010 Saturday 11a.m. – 4p.m.
    (This festival takes place at a farmer's market we went to last weekend, there's produce, jewelry, clothes, candles, books, etc. I got some really great apple butter and pumpkin butter)

27th Annual Watermelon Festival August 8, 2010 Sunday 10am-6pm
    (This festival is in Carytown, a really nice, cute area of Richmond I love visiting- not just because of the chocolate store!)
    (Their website reads: 115,000 people, over 2500 watermelons, 80 musicians, over 100 exhibitors, one of the largest kids areas of any festival on the east coast)

I recently did a write-up of the local Ft. Lee area- the main shopping areas, with historic locations and some further destinations as well. Would people be interested in it?

retired member

Array
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Jamie
    Thanks

Thanks Ladies!

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Liz
    Thanks

I thought I'd post a summary of what I've learned about the area near Ft. Lee since moving here. It's meant purely as a starting point of information, YMMV. Heavy on historic attractions because that's what we do on the weekends. I'm hoping to hear about new things I'm missing out on, and what all's in Hopewell from other ladies!

Southpark Mall in Colonial Heights, VA
    -this mall and the surrounding area is full of restaurants, stores, and general services
    -includes a 16-screen movie theater
    -The Colonial Heights Library is a few blocks from this area; it has a nice book selection and large, current DVD collection

"Boulevard" in Colonial Heights, VA
    -a large road with more stores, restaurants, and services

Old Towne Petersburg in Petersburg, VA
    -small collection of stores, antique malls, restaurants in historic buildings
    -personal favorite restaurants are Wabi Sabi (sushi), Brickhouse Run (British pub with great food), Maria's Cafe (Italian); Longstreet's also seems quite popular
    -If you're into art be sure to stop by the Petersburg Regional Art Center: it has a rotating gallery, studio space, competitions, classes, monthly openings, and more!

Petersburg's 'trinity' of historic attractions relating to the immediate area's Civil War History; you can visit them all in a day; they all have tours; ask about free admission for military:
    Blandford Church & Cemetery, Petersburg, VA
    -old restored church used as a Confederate memorial with many Tiffany windows
    Siege Museum in Petersburg, VA
    -small museum about the Union's siege of Petersburg, VA
    Centre Hill Museum in Petersburg, VA
    -mostly furnished old mansion

Crater Road in Petersburg is another large road with businesses along it, as well as the hospital- not as nice an area as the others but there are some good finds like Carter's Framing, which does the best framing in the area (and we've tried everyone).

Our favorite Italian restaurants are Roma's (on County Drive just off base) and Sal's (on Crater in Petersburg). Roma's is fancier and has a neat little bar area, Sal's has a more neighborhood vibe. Both are very affordable, with huge servings.

*Note: Hopewell is the third small city next to Ft. Lee, I'm just not familiar with it

Large historic attractions within a few hours:
    Jamestown Settlement & Yorktown Victory Center
    -http://www.historyisfun.org/
    Colonial Williamsburg
    -http://www.history.org/

Theme parks in this area of the state:
    Kings Dominion (north of Richmond, VA on I-95)
    Busch Gardens & Water Country USA (in Williamsburg, VA)

In Richmond, the Virginia State Capitol is definitely worth a visit & tour.
    For a fancy adult treat, Champagne Brunch at The Jefferson (a gorgeous hotel) is absolutely amazing. Seats must be reserved weeks in advance, but it's more than worth that and the price!

Array
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Tiffany
    Thanks

Default off post housing

My husband and I have lived off post and there are lots of militray families in my apt. complex, its located in Chester, Va, about 20 minutes from Fort Lee post, and we love it here, its very quiet and lots of children, geat schools, and close to everything especially walmart....

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Liz
    Thanks

I had an absolutely amazing massage by Alicia (& mani from Jade) at Utopia Spa yesterday. The place is a hidden gem in Historic Petersburg, the inside is just beautiful and the mother-daughter owners have added a yoga studio on the second floor, and are working on more spa treatment areas on the third floor. Alicia can do light, relaxing massages or deep tissue work (or a combination), I highly highly recommend her!

If anyone's interested, I have a $10 off spa service coupon I can give them (after your first treatment you get a $15 off next services coupon for yourself and a $10 off first treatment coupon for someone else). PM me if you'd like it!

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Donna
    Thanks

Default I just wanted to say...

I love it here.
    Forever In Love with my family!
    Hubby and the Girls Kaytin & Zaelynn