a Veteran
    Real Name
    Carly
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 418 Posts

Default KENTUCKY - Fort Campbell

KENTUCKY - Fort Campbell

http://www.campbell.army.mil
    Last edited by Carly; 02-11-2008 at 04:47 PM.

---

Array
    My guy is
    overseas
    Thanks

There really isn't a lot to do in the immediate area, though Nashville is only about an hour drive away. It's also really muggy here, so summer kinda stinks. We do have the biggest PX ever. It's got a little bit of everything. Right now there is a lot of construction going on onpost, so housing is a bit messed up (though not bad).

Senior Member Deployment Survivor

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

My husband has been stationed here for a few years, and I lived here off/on while still attending school in NY (and I'm now here until the hubs leaves the area).

Weather: Too hot for me in the summer. It was brown & dry and too warm outside for me to really go out and enjoy it (at least during summer 2008). Springtime wasn't too bad, warm and rainy. There has been a lot of rain this year (2010) and the warm weather started pretty early (in the 80s in May). The winter was more pleasant (much nicer than NY winters!). It was cold, but not FREEZING. The weather is a little strange,though. It seems to change pretty quickly. Also, there was a tornado warning the first day I arrived in town - so keep an ear open for the sirens in spring and summer. Spring definitely starts in March, so that's a big plus.

Housing: I didn't live in on-post housing, so I can't say much about it. There is some nice, new housing that has been built. My friend lives in a pretty gorgeous duplex on post. However, the housing for couples leaves something to be desired. We chose not to live on post since we don't have kiddos. We've lived in a few areas in our years here. We've stayed off Tiny Town Road, about a 20 minute drive to post. It was a pretty nice area, your average "development" where all the houses look kind of similar. I would recommend that area as a decent place to live. I also have lived near Gate 10, and I liked that. Close enough to post, but far enough away to not be near crappy areas. The housing costs are pretty low, but so is BAH. Depending on where you live and where your spouse works, it could be a bit of a commute.

Shopping & Food: I don't use the commissary that much b/c I had a Walmart closer to me. There are two super Walmarts on Ft Campbell Blvd (the road outside post) - one on the KY side, one on the TN side (shop on the Kentucky side if you're near it, it has lower tax than the TN side). I do buy a few things at the commissary, such as meat. It tends to be a little cheaper, but it is also rather busy. The PX is really big, but I almost never shop there, so I can't review it. There is a small-ish mall a few exits away on the interstate. There are a LOT of chain restaurants. A couple smaller places I liked to eat at: Edleweiss Cafe for desert (German food) and Pancho Villa (mexican, near post). There's also a pretty good Indian food place on Wilma Rudolph, which is a nice change of pace from the chains.

Exercise: I go to ESTEP gym. It's a gym that you have to pay at, but I like the "aerobics" classes. I've been to Zumba, Cardio Kickboxing, Pilates, Yoga, Total Body, and Spin Class. Classes are $3 each or pay $30 for unlimited gym time & class time. You can also purchase classes at 14 classes for $25 (no expiration date). For just regular gym use, it's $1.50/day. There is child care available at ESTEP. There are other free gyms on post, but they don't provide child care or aerobics classes (to my knowledge).

Things to Do in Nashville: Nashville is about an hour away, there is a decent amount of things to do there. I like to go to the open air Nashville Farmer's Market on the weekend and visit the zoo, the Frist, the botanical gardens and other "cultural" type of things. There is a bunch of music venues, but I am partial to the Ryman Auditorium. I think it's one of the best venues that I've been in. There are also the cowboy bars and tourist stuff located along Broadway in Nashville. As for the malls in Nashville - Opry Mills is closed right now due to the flood (spring 2010), Green Hills is a bit more upscale (ex: there is a Tiffany's, Sephora, etc there and a Trader Joe's nearby), and Rivergate is small. You can find a list of some of the things going on in Nashville here & I find a lot of events going on that I would have not known about otherwise: http://www.nashville.com/calendarofevents/

Other cities worth visiting while you're in the area: Definitely Chattanooga. It's small, but has a great vibe and some cool things to do. We went to Memphis for a show, but didn't see enough of it for me to give a full review. Atlanta is a longer drive (about 5 hours), but we've gone for a visit and to see a concert there, before, so it is do-able.
    Last edited by rachel128; 12-26-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: update :)

My guy is
    overseas
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

I'm not so fond of Campbell itself.
    We actually live off-post due to housing shortages.
    As of now they are condemning a large amount of housing.
    Trying to rebuild and renovate a lot of them, which was VERY needed.
    I believe the housing numbers were in the upper 400's last time I checked on it.
    Post is starting to look much better than 6 months ago when I moved here.
    The roads are still kind of confusing.
    Commissary is ALWAYS packed.
    No matter when you go.
    PX is as stated above, literally, the largest PX in the world.
    I think it's pretty nice although the foot court is shut down for pipe work.
    Which can be scary!

The weather here isn't too bad for me but I lived Indiana, Nebraska, and California so I'm kind of used to them all.
    It IS very muggy here at times.
    There are too many Wal-Marts!
    We always cheat and go to the Oak Grove Wal-Mart.
    Which is nicer than the others.
    And save 3.5 % on sales tax.
    Yes, it's 9.5% on the TN side!
    Plenty of jobs.
    I must advise to be picky about housing though.
    We got lucky to get into a really nice place for a decent special.
    When I went to look at housing closer to post it's not as nice.
    It just depends on how far you want to drive.
    DH and I drive about 25 mins to post.
    But there are plenty of other places that are decent and about 10-15 mins.
    Other good thing is that being close to post some places have military discounts and specials.
    Which are nice.
    Compared to Jackson and Eustis I would put it at about 2nd.
    I think Eustis will always be my favorite!
    Anywho!!!!
    It takes some getting used to.
    Plus this is our first duty station so maybe I don't know the difference!
    Last edited by AviationWife06; 09-12-2008 at 03:04 AM.

My guy is
    overseas
    Real Name
    Danielle
    Thanks
    Thanked 1 Post

Red face Ft. Campbell KY.

Hello! My husband and I are stationed at Campbell. It's our first duty post so I don't have anything to compare it to. He loves it. It's only a few hrs away from our home town. We've live in both Clarksville and Oak Grove. I like Clarksville better, Oak Grove is really small.
    Taking it one day at a time...

My guy is
    stateside
    Real Name
    Brianna
    Thanks

so my fiance will be stationed at Ft. Campbell in June, and i will move down there from northern WA after we get married in Sep.

My guy is
    a Veteran
    Real Name
    Kati
    Thanks

My fiancé is at fort Campbell he said he isn't sure about it yet. He just got there about a week ago. We will be getting married shortly so I will be there off and on. I want to move there but I want to keep my doctors here for the baby. So idk lots of choices to be made.
    Gary (10/10/2009 1:42:00 PM): plse dnt cry be happy u have an adoring husband that loves u with all of his heart and we will be together soon

My heart belongs to him!!!

Array
    My guy is
    overseas
    Real Name
    Kit
    Thanks

I have lived in Clarksville since 2002, at first I hated it I was from a City and wanted sushi and 24 hour dining etc. Well we have sushi now and the whole town has almost tripled since we moved here, i love it here. I live in the county and we have BBQ and Bon fires all the time, Cost of living rocks . The Commissary still stinks for fruits and Veggies ( I miss the Bragg Commissary's) so i go to the farmers markets in the warm months Feb-Oct or the Mennonite farms (as Organic as you can get). There are a lot of produce places or Kroger's. There are great things for the kids, free museum on Sunday, pottery painting, Every sport and activity. We ahve Mom's group and all sorts of support on and off post ( of course i use none of it)

I have heard that the new post housing is ok but the old stuff was a Nightmare. The only indoor pool closing every other year so for those of us that fear direct sunlight and sunburn it sucks but there are about 6 over chlorinated pools on post. the Gyms have been updated and most of the 1940's building have been replaced in the last 4 years. Oh the Library is great for kids too. I hated it when i first moved and now I can not Imagine moving back up to Boston

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Krystine
    Thanks

well the only thing I have a problem with with campbell is ppl on ft campbell blvd cannot drive worth a crap....lol the PX is fairly large but there is a saying that once you are at campbell you never leave....its like a black hole that isn't so bad to be stuck in honestly...

Words to live by

Array
    My guy is
    overseas
    Real Name
    becka
    Thanks
    Thanked 1 Post

i was stationed at campbell when i was in...it was a love hate relationship. when i got there there was an 18 month waiting list for housing so i lived off post...i lived over on tiny town and it was a decent area but i did pay way too much for the apartment i was living in. And you have to watch who you rent through there some of the companies arent very fair. i rented through one company and when i ets'd out and wanted to move where my husband was they wouldnt budge because he wasnt on the lease( he was stationed at carson) they wanted almost 3k to break my lease 2 1/2 months early. Uhm people cant drive there i cant tell you how many times ive almost got hit/watched someone else get hit coming out of gate 4 because people fly. there isnt a lot to do if your not willing to drive to nashville and some parts of town arent very nice. but postwise there is a lot more to do than some other posts ive been on

Array
    My guy is
    overseas
    Real Name
    Tanya
    Thanks

Well, I am new to the ARmy life, Ben and I have only been married for about 6 months. I moved to Fort Campbell from east TN. I dont have any other post to compare to but I am relatively happy with the post. I think the PX is a little pricey, even with paying sales tax a lot of items can be purchased cheaper off post if you buy on the KY side. The commissary has really good meat, at reasonable prices. You should be aware though that if you purchase groceries at the Oak Grove Wal-Mart there is no sales tax as KY has no sales tax on most food items. We have enjoyed a lot of the free activities here, and the library is great. The theatre is nice and only $4 for movies but they also provide a lot of free things for families here. There is a bowling alley but we havent bee there yet. As far as housing we live on the post. When we arrived we accepted an apartment that is scheduled for demo in 2010. We are now being moved to a nicer house and although we have to move over at our own expense, housing has been very accomodating in our case. I do know there is a significant wait at this time for post housing as they are relocating everyone in this complex, several hundred families.
    Like I said I have no other duty stations to compare to, but I have so far enjoyed it here. I have a problem making friends here, but that is not a post issue, I think if you go into Fort Campbell with a positive attitude you can be happy and comfortable here.

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Fort Campbell was named nations top army community.....

"Fear cripples faith, but never forget-just as quickly, faith cripples fear.
    Whether fear or faith prevails depends on the commander we're saluting."
    -Beth Moore

Array
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Angie
    Thanks

Default ft. campbell

my name is angie. i am an army brat that is now dating a soldier in the army.
    we are stationed at ft. campbell ky. we live off post due to not being married and he likes having somewhere to go away from work. we live in clarksville tn.
    it is okay here, i work 10 mins away but he has to drive atleast 40 min to work.

i have really found nothing that is totally fun to do yet around here. we go to the dog park everyday, but other than that pretty boring... i would really like to meet some army wives around this area to hang out with and build friendships. I am a firm believer that we all need someone to lean on and help out through all of the deployments, or even issues when they are home...

well i am new to this site so not sure how all this works, but just figured i would put it out there and hope for the best!!!

Array
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Magen
    Thanks

Default We just got orders to Campbell...

Hi. We just got our first orders and they are to Campbell. I am a little nervous being as this is our first move and we are gonna have to rent somewhere until post housing comes available. I have 2 kids one 9 and the other 7 so they are both in school and 2 dogs (one 7 lb and one is 107 lbs) so finding somewhere for all of us without breaking the bank is worrying me a little...Im not gonna lie. Is there any advice on where to stay away from when looking for housing there? Best schools? Places that rent by the month by chance? I was told the wait list is 4-6 months right now so I dont want a year lease if possible. Thanks

Clarksville, TN but home will always be Indiana
    My guy is
    a Veteran
    Real Name
    Nikole
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magen View Post
    Hi. We just got our first orders and they are to Campbell. I am a little nervous being as this is our first move and we are gonna have to rent somewhere until post housing comes available. I have 2 kids one 9 and the other 7 so they are both in school and 2 dogs (one 7 lb and one is 107 lbs) so finding somewhere for all of us without breaking the bank is worrying me a little...Im not gonna lie. Is there any advice on where to stay away from when looking for housing there? Best schools? Places that rent by the month by chance? I was told the wait list is 4-6 months right now so I dont want a year lease if possible. Thanks
    We don't have children so I don't know about the schools and we are going to be living on post when we get there in a couple of weeks but I do have a suggestion. In the housing office on post there are people on the other side of the office that assist with off post living(like if you walk into the housing office you can either turn right and talk to base housing people or turn left and that is where they help you with off post living). I stopped by there a few months ago when I was house hunting off post and I talked to a guy that worked there. He was extremely helpful and talked to me for over an hour. He gave me a bunch of information including a list of numbers to realtors in the area that work with the soldiers. I remember that the list had at least 6 or 7 different realtors that I could call about rentals. So it wouldn't hurt to get in contact with them and see if they could help you out.

Living The Dream! Deployment Survivor

Senior Member Array Kitten's Avatar Site Supporter
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Amanda
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,360 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by magen View Post
    Hey I sent you a PM about a possible housing option, my DB's condo is open while he's deployed (through May) and it would be monthly. Check out your messages!!!

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Carrie
    Thanks

We had the same problem when we PCSd in here. The housing office can give you a great website to look at for rental property in the area. Most of the renters on the website cater to military. We found a great house in a great neighborhood with a great landlord through the website. I don't have it anymore but I'm 100% positive we got it from the on post housing office.

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    danielle
    Thanks

We just got orders to fort campbell. We report on Dec. 15 2010. I am nervous because I have to kids, a one year old and a two year old. I really want to live on post, does anyone know much about on post housing and how long the wait is?

Array
    My guy is
    overseas
    Thanks

Does anyone know if the Dental Clinic does orthodontics?

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joeswife79 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Dental Clinic does orthodontics?
    Dental Clinics on post are for the soldier only. If you're looking for orthodontics in the area, I would recommend checking out the Tricare Dental website search: function: Find a Dentist.