a Veteran
    Real Name
    Carly
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 422 Posts

Default ARIZONA - Fort Huachuca

ARIZONA - Fort Huachuca

http://huachuca-www.army.mil
    Last edited by Carly; 02-11-2008 at 04:31 PM.

My guy is
    stateside
    Real Name
    Kaitlyn
    Thanks

Does anyone know the positives/negatives of this base? If so, thanks in advance.

My guy is
    stateside
    Real Name
    Katie
    Thanks
    Thanked 1 Post

Well I'll be going here in November so I'll let you know

Wife, Mom, Designer

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Jeannette
    Thanks

It's a nice post as far as I can tell from the month I've been here. It's fairly easy to navigate on post, it's pretty small (the actual building areas... the wilderness is expansive). Sierra Vista is a nice little town but the only place to do any shopping other than Target/Big Lots/Wal-mart is about 60 miles away in Tuscon. I live off post in an apartment which is pretty nice. If you are an allergy sufferer you are likely to get much relief here. I have horrible allergies but have been snot free for the entire time I have been here. I smelled a flower several days ago without sneezing! However, nose bleeds can be an issue and make sure to have LOTS of lotion because it is fairly dry this time of year. I hear monsoon season is around the corner so we will see. Please feel free to ask specific questions and I will find out the answer while I am here.
    Check Out My Blog Design Site

{10% Discount for Military - Just let me know you found me here.}

5. The following member has thanked this post:

LadyLuna (02-18-2012)

My guy is
    stateside
    Real Name
    Chelsea
    Thanks

Question for Huachuca ladies. My hubby will be going there for AIT and a family friend mentioned of a place nearby where he said married men do not belong or need to go to. It starts with a G I believe. Idk what it had to do with married men not needing to go to. I thought it was gallo or smothing or another. Bad influences or lots of girls or whatnots. Anybody have a clue as to what I'm talking about. I'm just trying to get familiar with what is around before we go that direction.

Wife, Mom, Designer

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Jeannette
    Thanks

Perhaps the Sorry Gulch Saloon? Its a bar with exotic dancers on the weekends. I have yet to check it out but as far as I know there are no places the soldiers are black listed to. My hubby is in AIT there now. I'm here with him and all he does it come to my apartment so I wouldn't know of any where really. Other than bars and a few good restaurants there is no reason for the soldiers to leave post. There isn't anything to do in Sierra Vista. Most of them have been getting in trouble for going off post when they didn't have a pass and getting tattoos.

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Cassie
    Thanks

Default Fort Huachuca

I've read some of the above comments and here is what you really need to know about Fort Huachuca:

1. It's HOT. Like 90 degrees hot. Everyday. Well... maybe not, but it's consistantly warm. There is very little humidity, so less sweating than a normally hot climate. It's dry and you'll need tons of water and lip balm. And, it's beautiful. The mountains are gorgeous and the sun is up about 15 hours a day, so there is a ton of time to enjoy the outdoors.

2. Sierra Vista is a great little town. It's friendly, easy to navigate, and close enough to Tucson for day trips. Though, be careful. The locals are extremely influenced by Fort Huachuca and are very conservative/Republican and Christian dominated. That may not be an issue for you, but watch what you say! However, they are generally sweet and talkative and the Army influence means that they understand what you're going through and support you... plus TONS of discounts. Just ask!

3. The housing is through a civilian, private company, Mountain Vista Communities. Thus far they have been entirely helpful since the April 1, 2009 take-over. I moved during April and got housing the day I moved here. The maintenance dept. is quick to help and especially friendly. There are two types of houses, really. The new ones, which are fantastic, and the old ones, which are okay. Neither have carpet and that's not really a bad thing with the dust. The new ones are brand new and for permanent party members usually stationed for over a year. The older ones are being prepared for demolition, so only soldiers in AIT school have been placed there. I live in an older house, and truthfully, "old" means MAYBE 25 years, and they aren't bad at all. Not the greatest amenities, but for the few months that most AIT soldiers are here, they are just fine. Besides, they'll be torn down sometime next summer/fall, so... no big deal.

4. The Commisary is well stocked, easy to locate, but has strange hours. It's closed on Monday and only open until 5 on Sunday... for me, that's strange, but Sierra Vista is notorious for stores that close very early and aren't open on Sunday. The price difference between onpost shopping and off is significant. There is normally a .25 to .50 difference per item and offpost stores only rival with deep discounts and using coupons, etc. Otherwise, the commisary has them beat. [Especially with meat!]

5. The PX is nice- there are a few Class Six Shopettes- and I haven't really compared pricing there. It seems like it would be less.

6. The only major downfall I find for wives or newcomers is the lack of community. I wasn't expecting a welcome wagon or anything, but it's difficult to locate news on events onpost and I've met, maybe, 5 wives since relocating 8 weeks ago. Maybe it's me, but after asking those 5 wives, none of them had met many more than that. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I spend more time with my hunsband's friends than with anyone else.....

Ultimately, Fort Huachuca is a decent post with a fantastic city outside the city limits. I've enjoyed it here for the most part. If you're moving here soon, good luck! I'll be living here until March 2010 and would LOVE to meet some new people.

Oh! And places to stay away from.... The Sorry Gulch is a little bar with exotic dancers, but I never hear of anything too bad there. The worst I ever hear, in terms of fighting/girls, is Buffalo Wild Wings. Its a chain sports bar approx. 3 miles from the Main Gate. Not bad food, but it's known to be kinda rough on weekends.

9. The following member has thanked this post:

LadyLuna (02-18-2012)

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Cassie
    Thanks

So, Huachuca girls... After living here for nearly 4 months [twice as long as my last post], I have some updates:

1. They are currently breaking ground on new housing and the plans look amazing! If you're looking for a warm climate, small town, and beautiful housing- put Huachuca on your ASK. By the time you get here, you'll be welcomed into brand new 2 and 3 bedroom digs.

2. It's really, really, really tough to get a job around here. I tried really hard for about 2 months. I did; however, only get one interview, but nailed it and was offered on the spot. So.. Who knows. At the resturant I work at, though, we have gotten 100+ applicants a WEEK and we aren't even hiring.. Maybe it's just a weird time. If you plan to work, I'd try sticking on base where you'll have a preference.

3. The weather is getting better- about to get into Fall where it'll only be around 70 degrees every day. Monsoon season is also drawing to a close... and fly season is ending. About to be really beautiful.

4. Another place to stay away from: Denny's. Even though they have security now, there have been gun fights, shootings, etc. Yiiiiikes.

5. Last, if you like living close to a city and think Huachuca is for you because of the proximity to Tucson; think again. All the locals and I feel that the trip is exhausting and not something to look forward to between the scenery and the Border Patrol. It could just be me.

I'll be back in a few more months for some updates.
    My Blog!

[/CENTER]

Wife, Mom, Designer

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Jeannette
    Thanks

It's not just you. I had a hard time getting a job, even on post. You should try La Casita is you like Mexican food; its amazing! Also Delio's and (I think) Tony's Pizza (its a New York style pizza place on Highway 90 btw Fry and the mall) are really good for Italian. Hano Tokyo is awesome for Japanese but its a little on the expensive side.

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Cassie
    Thanks

So.. I hate La Casita, I think it's WAYYY over priced and now so delicious, but I love Delio's and Hano Tokyo. I really like this little country cooking place called Ivey's Home Cookin' on Fry next to Motel 6.

Wife, Mom, Designer

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Jeannette
    Thanks

Over priced? Hrm... it was really cheap to us. But then again there is a lot of Mexican food places here in Texas so maybe we're used to overpaying (and bad Mexican lol). I didn't try Ivey's. Did you find that pizza place? I think its Tony's or something. Anyways, the pizzas seem expensive but they are HUGE so you def. get your money's worth.

Senior Member Deployment Survivor

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,677 Times in 2,467 Posts

We went to eat at Ricardo's on Rt. 92... excelente! I visited in July and loved it.

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Cassie
    Thanks

I don't know much about Fort Hood, honestly- but considering it's Texas- I'd say that the climate is similar. But, we're 75 miles from Tucson, the closest major city, and the small town, Sierra Vista, is pretty lame.

As far as bars- yes, there are many without exotic dancers! Rondevous, Famous Sam's, etc.

Wife, Mom, Designer

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Jeannette
    Thanks

It will be a major culture shock. Hood is in East Texas. If you have ever been to Bliss or West Texas it is a lot like that. The culture is pretty different from the Dallas/Austin area as well but nothing you can't get used to after a couple months. I am from Midland Texas so it wasn't too big of a change for me but it did take some getting used to (about a month).

retired member

Array
    My guy is
    overseas
    Thanks
    Thanked 1 Post

There are definitely places without exotic dancers in Sierra Vista and out in Bisbee. There is a tennis club off HWY 92 that is pretty fun and a few regular clubs. In old Bisbee you can hit a few bars off of Main street; The Grand Bar, the Stock Exchange, Elmo's and a couple of smaller ones. I lived in Old Bisbee for a couple of years and in SV for a little over a year.

We'll be PCSing out there next Spring

Array
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Default Food(chinese particularly)

Hey everyone! My husband is vcurrently doing his AIT at Ft. Huachuca, adn he loves chinese food. He wanted me to ask if anyone knew of a really good chinese place that delivers to Ft. Huachuca.
    Thank-you!!!

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Christina
    Thanks

Does anyone know what the schools are like on post?
    & what about any colleges in the area?

2 of our kids will be on post for school & was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. & my other kid will be going to college in the next year!

I was also looking up stuff on the horseback riding on post. Can anyone tell me more about that. Like prices & stuff. I can't find anything out. My daughter is wanting to take horse riding lessons.

TIA!

Senior Member Deployment Survivor

My guy is
    stateside
    Real Name
    Sherry
    Thanks

this info is great, I don't think we would mind the drive to tucson for shopping. Currently we drive about 45ish miles to go shopping at sams club, we drove that far several times a month when I was pregnant to see my OB. I will also probably travel to see my family often(2.5 hours away) probably like 2-3 times a month at least.

I think I am going to have DH request that we transfer there when his unit is taken apart

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Christina
    Thanks
    Last edited by badchris77; 04-02-2010 at 12:52 AM.

My guy is
    stateside
    Real Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

Default Places to stay

Hi, my husband will be going to the career course from June - October. Any recommendations for a dad who will not be with his family to live for short period of time? Prefer not a lot of money?

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Christina
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksbjax12382 View Post
    Hi, my husband will be going to the career course from June - October. Any recommendations for a dad who will not be with his family to live for short period of time? Prefer not a lot of money?
    Can't he live in the barracks?

My guy is
    stateside
    Real Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

As an Officer, you can't live in the barracks with enlisted men. He'd have to talk to housing.

Array
    My guy is
    a Guardsman
    Thanks

Hi ladies! There is a possability that we may be moving to Ft Huachuca. I do have concerns though. The above threads have helped some. My 14 year old son is a freshman in high school and I've read that there isn't a high school on post and that there is only one in the city of Sierra Vista. Can anyone tell me about it? How about Pre-K thru 8 schools on post...how are they? I'm also really concerned about being able to find a job myself. I will be finishing my training for Medical Assistant in a little over a month but didn't find a lot of MA want adds when I was looking online. My husband has told me not to worry about it unless and until we have orders but I'd still like to know what I'm up for if he does get the orders for Ft Huachuca. One more question..hope it comes out right and isn't silly. Being so close to the border and all of the horror stories about drug smuggling and gangs and whatnot...how safe is it?

Thanks for your help
    Christina

Wife, Mom, Designer

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Jeannette
    Thanks

It is not a silly question at all. The town is fairly safe. There are about 200 illegal aliens captured on post each year, but the crime rate isn't too high. I felt pretty safe doing my shopping alone. Like every town, there are nicer neighborhoods but there wasn't anywhere that I felt particularly unsafe. I rarely went out after dark to anywhere besides Wal-mart and Target alone though.

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Christina
    Thanks

[QUOTE=christina0521;1758841]Hi ladies! There is a possability that we may be moving to Ft Huachuca. I do have concerns though. The above threads have helped some. My 14 year old son is a freshman in high school and I've read that there isn't a high school on post and that there is only one in the city of Sierra Vista. Can anyone tell me about it? How about Pre-K thru 8 schools on post...how are they? I'm also really concerned about being able to find a job myself. I will be finishing my training for Medical Assistant in a little over a month but didn't find a lot of MA want adds when I was looking online. My husband has told me not to worry about it unless and until we have orders but I'd still like to know what I'm up for if he does get the orders for Ft Huachuca. One more question..hope it comes out right and isn't silly. Being so close to the border and all of the horror stories about drug smuggling and gangs and whatnot...how safe is it?

Thanks for your help
    Christina[/QUOTE

I have kids in school here, on post & off...the ones on post so far are really nice! I haven't had any problems with them other than they seem to be alot farther ahead in the curriculum than the schools my kids just came from. As for the high school, my daughter is a senior & she goes to Buena in Sierra Vista because we didn't know there was another option. I would send your kid to Tombstone! The bus comes on post to pick the kids up & everyone I know who has teenagers sends them to Tombstone. Buena kids are too much of party animals & into sex & drugs. My teenager is having a hard time making friends because she is not into that scene. There is also another high school in Sierra Vista, I think its called Case or Cass...not sure. I think its a private school though.

As for safety outside the post, I have not had ANY problems whatsoever & I have been here for almost 5 months now. I go shopping at night alone alot. Just be smart & use common sense & you will be fine. I don't do anything different here than what I did where I use to live! I haven't had any problems with mexicans. We were told that alot of kids go missing around here alot because the mexicans steal them & take them across the border. My only response to that is, I watch my kids like I am suppose to. Just like I would if I lived ANYWHERE else in the world! Like I said, just use common sense & life will be fine!

Its really a nice area. I personally LOVE it here! & I am the google queen around here! Everyone is always so surprised at all the things I find to do around here. There is alot to do if you just look & I want to experience as much as possible from everywhere I live! I am all about free & cheap! LOL!

& I look forward to meeting you if you come here!

Array
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Thanks

Hello,
    I'm from Arizona and could not wait to leave.. It's all Desert and very lil rain unless its monsoon season which starts around August time frame. The weather is HOT very very hot and lil to no humidty. Tucson is near there and it's a big city.. There you have a lot of shopping and resturants. You have th mountains there which are pretty but it's still in Arizona which I do no like at all. I have lived in much better places. I don't know anything about the post there but DMV is there in Tucson so its a military town. Tomb Stone is there and it's fun to go to but not an everyday or weekend thing.. it get's old. I lived in Tucson for 24 years and I just really didn't care for it.. If you go into Tucson the Tucson mall is on Oracle and its a pretty big mall but you have Park's Place Mall on Broadway.. when I lived there it was not that great of a mall but they did a lot of upgrade to it so its pretty nice now.. You have the Desert museum there and I liked that when we went.. There is a sports park called Breakers water park and Justin's water world and that is always fun to do.. It's a drive though.. Phoenix is pretty nice and a lot there to do as well but again it's a good drive. I hope this helps and if you would like to know any more id be glad to help out.

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Jacqueline
    Thanks

Hey ladies, I'll be PCSing here in the next two weeks! I've heard that housing is awesome on base, and that the neighboring communities are nice. Any other advice woujld be greatly appreciated.
    He stole my heart, broke it, and helped me put the pieces back together. Hes my hero and through it all I'll love him forever.

Array
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Thanks

Default Carpets??

My family and I just PCSed here and when we looked at our new house which we are going to move into in a couple weeks, there was no carpet. Just wondering what other people did about it, did you have carpet installed, buy area rugs, or just deal with tile? I have small child so just wondering what other Moms did. Thanks, any other advice for a newcomer is really appreciated

Array
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Thanks

My family and I just PCSed here and when we looked at our new house which we are going to move into in 2 weeks, there was no carpet. Just wondering what other people did about it, did you have carpet installed, buy area rugs, or just deal with tile? I have a 6 month old who is crawling now so just wondering what other Moms did. Thanks, any other advice for a newcomer is really appreciated

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    K
    Thanks

Husband going to AIT at Huachuca. He's prior service. Have seen online that because it's over 20 weeks we can be put on orders, and accompany him. Just wondering if anyone has any information about housing for AIT soldiers/families. Do they ever let you live on post? Anyone recommend any off post housing for this situation? Thanks in advance.

Wife, Mom, Designer

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Jeannette
    Thanks

Mine was less than 20 officially... but longer than it in the end. I lived off post so I have no idea, sorry.

Array
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Thanks

Does anyone have any information/experiences with realtors/property managers? We are looking for an off post rental home and would like to find a good (non sleazy) realtor.

My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    Christina
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amyt View Post
    My family and I just PCSed here and when we looked at our new house which we are going to move into in a couple weeks, there was no carpet. Just wondering what other people did about it, did you have carpet installed, buy area rugs, or just deal with tile? I have small child so just wondering what other Moms did. Thanks, any other advice for a newcomer is really appreciated
    We just bought a few area rugs. Theres a rug guy that comes a few times a year & he will be in the Safeway parking lot area. His rugs are really affordable & you can get some really large ones! We got two from him for &88 each
    Other than that, we just deal with the floors! I suggest a swifter wet jet or a steam mop to keep them clean. We take our shoes off at the door to help prevent more dirt from coming into the house. I have seen a huge improvement with keeping the floors clean when we started doing this!

My kids actually love not having carpet because its easier for them to play with their toys, like blocks & cars.

What neighborhood are you in? Im in Pershing Plaza east

Resistance is Futile Alumni Staff Deployment Survivor

Senior Member Array LovemyPhoxx's Avatar Site Supporter
    My guy is
    a Soldier
    Real Name
    KT
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 1,096 Posts

Anyone have restaurants they recommend here?

Live long and prosper.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.